The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Playing Games
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
A Zarkin' Frood
formerly known as Prince.

A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it!
Send a message via ICQ to A Zarkin' Frood Send a message via AIM to A Zarkin' Frood Send a message via MSN to A Zarkin' Frood Send a message via Skype™ to A Zarkin' Frood
Default Cthulhu can suck it, take your eye and go home: Let's play Terraria!

Prologue: Life and times of a bro whose head houses fishPrologue: Life and times of a bro whose head houses fish.

Welcome to Broworld and welcome to my house which, by the way, yes, is a cave encased in both lava and a giant fortress, it's basically the safest cave-like area in the world right now.

I used to live in an icy tower once y'know. But that was in the old world. A time when I was younger, when I was still dressed completely in white and my hair was also white because my head wasn't a fishbowl yet.

After my brother Afrobob and I arrived in these lands we dubbed them Broworld. Well I did. He wanted to call it Brotown. We searched for new land specifically to build Bro Fortress. It's not built to be pretty, but to be big. Because we're both guys who have to compensate for something.

Did I mention that we have two towers that reach into space?

Anyway, I guess you're not here for a history lesson, let me show you around a bit. Just a basic tour, so don't worry. I'm not going to show you every room of our 4 Storage floors, 6 apartment/random floors and the 42 floors of each of the towers. Most of them are empty anyway. The next project is converting some rooms into a disco. Oh, that reminds me, let me show you a little picture from the old lands before we go.

Me having an epic dance off with my brother in the good old floating glass disco way back. But now let's go, this tour isn't going to take itself.

What you can see here is that the guide lives in a bathroom directly below me. This shaft by the way is our one-way elevator to hell. Which is my way to say it's actually a very long fall. And to think of it, calling it an elevator is not even correct at all. There are no things elevated in this elevator they just fall. And scream if they didn't know what they were signing up for. I should probably put up a sign.

Speaking of signs, I also wanted to put up a sign warning people that the forge to the left is made out of hellstone which will burn you if you walk on it unless you have an Obsidian Skull. That's not usually a problem, though, because the materials to build one are in a chest on the other end of the forge.

Well, we don't have too much time, a day is short after all. Let me show you the top of the west tower next.

Here we are. The top of west tower is made out of ash and lava with a little obsidian house for our wizard here.. Hi wizard! He doesn't talk much these days. Mostly looking into his crystal ball looking for signs of the apocalypse.

Hoshit, a wyvern! Let's take this outside shall we?

There's nothing more relaxing than a free fall battle against a randomly spawning miniboss.

Well, that was a wyvern all right. We fell down onto a bridge between the two towers which we use as an arena to fight big baddies like the Destroyer, the twins or Skeletron Prime. Now we're about halfway up east tower and that guy in red over there actually lives at the top. We call him Santa. Let's go up there and check it out.

As you can see, almost every room inside the towers is empty because what are we gonna do with all that space? We wanted towers reaching into space, we didn't actually think of any way to make use of them.

Isn't it nice up here? All snowy and wintery. This is the only place in Broworld where it snows. If you want snow just go up there and enjoy the cold. Reminds me of my old ice tower in the old lands. Maybe I should go back there some day to get some of my stuff. Not like I need it. I have everything I need here. But just for the good old time's sake, y'know? I wont have to worry about anyone entering my old tower. I was a different man back then and it is guarded by spikes. Oh you know what? I'll just jump off the tower onto the floating island below. There's a bridge leading there from the tower, But why walk if you can fly?

Weeeeee. You see that bench over there? My brother Afrobob sometimes liked to just sit there with his shotgun waiting for harpies and wyverns just to tell them to get off his floating lawn. I was more of a swimmer I just jumped into the water from the board on the right. Oh, if we jump down from that island we should land directly on top of the heart fountain!

Indeed, here I am. Maybe I'll come back here a little later, turn it on and tell you its story. Now, let's go to the borders of Bro Premises.

Ah yes, the sign that welcomes all the new arrivals. We haven't had any in a while. Population: Cool. Hehe, yeah. That sign did a great job of telling everyone what's going on here. It's getting dark. Let's turn on that fountain and I'll tell you about the big brosaccre of earlier this year.

We had amassed an army of brave bros willing to risk their lives to fight the giant metal worm also known as The Destroyer. We didn't really know that the name isn't for show, so we summoned him and thought we could take him on just like that. Oh how wrong we were. Thousands of bros and lady-bros died that night. I can still hear their screams. The Destroyer defeated us. We were crushed. With so many bros dead the entire fortress was in mourning. But Afrobob and I had no time to mourn. We spent the next few days preparing to make that metal worm our bitch. We got tons of potions that made us absolutely overpowered, and we also placed a heart statue in our boss arena and wired it up so it would dispense hearts, healing us in case of an emergency. We showed that fucking worm. He wont come back. Unless we tell him to. Because he's our bitch now. After that we put the statue here.

Almost time to sleep, but I have an idea. I'm not going to sleep in my cave today, no no. I'll go to the shack that all the new arrivals start out in and spend the night there. Yes. Let's do just that. And I'll use the secret tunnel. The secret switch to open the secret tunnel is the toilet flush.

Bam, secret passage open!

It's quite long and also dark but relatively safe copared to the surface.

Here I am!

As I said, all the new arrivals to Broworld would first come here and then travel to the fortress. Either using Bro Road on the surface, which is dangerous with all the unicorns living there, or Noob Tunnel, which is usually safe. Well except for the rare ghost. We haven't had any newcomers in quite a while, though. It's a little sad, really. It has become too dangerous for new people to come here. But maybe one day someone will come from distant lands a brave soul that knows no fear, or maybe knows it but is best buddies with it. Yes, I'm confident that someone will show up and make this place less boring. Not that it is boring at all, but the more the merrier, right?

Chapter 1: Kingdom Kome
Chapter 2: Barely scratching the surface.
Chapter 3: Dig Deeper!
Chapter 4: GIANT FLOATING EYEBALL OUT OF NOWHERE (Ooops! Spoiler)
Chapter 5: How I stopped worrying and became a super-powered demon knight. Part 1 of 1
Chapter 6: Fucking Undead Wizards
Chaßter 7: This jungle needs more deadly things! (But maybe also more lights)
Chapter 8: If you want to defeat the Wall of Flesh you must first conquer this wall of text!
Chapter 9: A Tale of Rainbows, Unicorns and Death
Chapter 10: Yep, still digging. Hope you enjoy it.
Chapter 11: Blue and Green Shinies.
Chapter 12: I wont even pretend to think of a title for this.
Chapter 13: Calm before the storm, then the storm, then the storm is over.

Aaaand, here we go. Welcome to my Let's play of Terraria. Terarria essentially is Minecraft meets Metroidvania. I only played Minecraft for ten minutes, so I don't really know how that comparison holds up, but if most of the time in Minecraft is spent underground hitting dirt and stone and minerals with a pickaxe so you can use them to build houses and equipment it's exactly like that. Key elements of the game are exploration and building. We'll have a lot of options as it's an open ended game. Which means there is no actual goal. The ones who'll be deciding the course the game takes will be you. A mutliplayer event is not impossible.

I will run this LP until I don't enjoy making it anymore. But updates will get considerably rarer if some terrible tragedy happens. Me getting a job for instance. Another thing: I'll make this a screenshot LP, and since I don't like having ten thousand picture posts on each page that load at the same time. I'll either run the LP on a wordpress blog or another thingie that allows me to make the posts isolated. which I'll link here (like my blind Earthbound LP) or I'll find out that NPF had a journal feature I could use for that or something all along.

Now, before we get started we have to create a character, a world and a first goal.

Our character will need a name and an appearance. We can choose from 36 Hairstyles (http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Hairstyles) Sorry for not going into the game and making screenshots of every available hairstyle myself, that page just already did it for me. We can also adjust the colors of the hair and outfit (shirt, inner shirt.)

Our wardrobe is not limited to that outfit. But we will not be able to adjust the colors. There are vanity slots that allow us to wear armor for appearance only (no stats) and also some vanity items. These:
I wont be able to get the santa outfit anymore, sorry. But I should be able to procure all the others if you want me to customize the character that way. That pic up there does not include all the armor sets we could wear in our vanity slots.

The world and its biomes will be randomly generated. The only thing we get to choose is its size. Small, medium (twice as large as small) or large (twice as large as medium). For just one player none of these will feel small. There's plenty of exploring to do even in a small world also the resources aren't as far apart. So a small world is a little easier than a bigger one. Though, there are less floating islands in small worlds and there are some good midgame goodies on there. There are less treasure areas in general in small worlds.

We'll also need to set our difficulty. We can either play Softcore, Mediumcore or Hardcore.
When we die in Softcore mode we only use half our money when we die. On Mediumcore we lose items. And on Hardcore we lose the character. Forever. Unless you people specifically want me to play something other than Softcore I'll go with that.

Lastly we'll need something to do. We will just be thrown into a world with nothing in it but us and some guy who tries to help us by telling us that we need to get wood or something. So, how are we going to start? The traditional way, where we just gather a few resources and build a first little house? Or should we try to head straight into hostile areas? Also: What's our long term goal, where do we want to end up? Build a black tower made of ashes, a peaceful little city that gets attacked every other week or perhaps an underground bunker? Get strong enough to go to Broworld and fuck up the giant phallic buildings there? We don't have to go to Broworld at all, by the way. I just had this goofy idea that it would be better to start off this LP with a little bit of pseudo LP (which ended up being longer than I expected)

So, to summarize, things I need to know from you
Character name
Hairstyle and Color
Eye color
Skin color (almost every color is possible, not only vanilla colors like black, white and brown)
Base outfit colors (Shirt, undershirt, pants and shoes)

World Size
Difficulty

First course of action.
Long term goal

I don't expect you to make a pick for all of those, It's only to show what's possible. Just come up with some cool character ideas, general color schemes, whatever. Tell me what to do and stuff.

Note: I will not RP as any character from any of the nerdy shows you watch, books you read or games you play just because you think it would be funny to watch Dr. Who digging tunnels or something.

Note to self: Watch more Dr. Who.

C-:

Last edited by A Zarkin' Frood; 03-16-2012 at 09:18 AM.
A Zarkin' Frood is offline Add to A Zarkin' Frood's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Flarecobra
Burn.

Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.
Send a message via AIM to Flarecobra Send a message via Yahoo to Flarecobra

Wear the mario outfit.

Look for Luigi.

Collect ALL mushrooms, thinking you'll use them to remake the Mushroom Kingdom.

Rules. Read them, know them, love them.
Flarecobra is offline Add to Flarecobra's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Shyria Dracnoir
Kawaii-ju

Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana.
Send a message via MSN to Shyria Dracnoir

Be the ninja.

Avenge the death of your clan whenever possible.

Bruce Lee style battle screeches are mandatory in every battle.

Godzilla vs. Gamera (1994)
Shyria Dracnoir is offline Add to Shyria Dracnoir's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Flarecobra
Burn.

Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Flarecobra has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.

Oh! If you die, you can no longer use that outfit.

Unread 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Shyria Dracnoir
Kawaii-ju

Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Shyria Dracnoir is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana.
Send a message via MSN to Shyria Dracnoir

Whenever you change outfits/die, you have to change your personality to match the new one.

Godzilla vs. Gamera (1994)
Shyria Dracnoir is offline Add to Shyria Dracnoir's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Flarecobra
Burn.

Oh, and think about what Bro Strider would think of your antics, and if they're ironic enough.

Unread 01-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
A Zarkin' Frood

A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it! A Zarkin' Frood is facing every kind of danger imaginable - and loving it!
Send a message via ICQ to A Zarkin' Frood Send a message via AIM to A Zarkin' Frood Send a message via MSN to A Zarkin' Frood Send a message via Skype™ to A Zarkin' Frood

I actually like the idea of a fluent personality that changes every time I die. Or every time I play, but I can't use them anymore when I die. In that case I'd have to call the character Mister Six. Kudos if you get that reference. I'd also adjust my playstyle with every outfit. Actually perfect for an LP.

Another unimportant thing I noticed is that our world needs a name. Alternatively I could call it world 4, which is what will happen if no one suggests a name. Until I decide to make screenshots for the first real update.

C-:

Last edited by A Zarkin' Frood; 01-11-2012 at 04:46 AM.
A Zarkin' Frood is offline Add to A Zarkin' Frood's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Thadius
BEARD IMPACT

Thadius is the belle of the ball. Thadius is the belle of the ball. Thadius is the belle of the ball. Thadius is the belle of the ball. Thadius is the belle of the ball.
Send a message via MSN to Thadius

Kingdom Kome. Everything gets blasted there. Including your character.
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
A Zarkin' Frood

Chapter 1: Kingdom Kome
Clickedy click
TERRARIA!!! The first real chapter. Fascinating isn't it? Oh the fun we will have. Probably. I probably should mention here that I'm using Imageshack to host the images. The ones in the first post are hosted on mediafire, though. For some reason. Don't ask me why.

This is Mister Six. He... well, his taste in fashion isn't really the best but that's not going to matter because
most of the time we'll be wearing different outfits. Not this time, though. I actually rolled a random character and adjusted the colors a little so it looked more human. The world (medium sized) is called Kingdom Kome, by the way. The only place we can see this is the world selection screen, though.

Here I am, stranded in the middle of somewhere, my only company a trash can. Let's check out that trash.

Who the hell threw away all these perfectly fine clothes? Not as stylish as my outfit, of course, but there are some absolutely acceptable clothes in there. So, I got thrown into this world with nothing but a wardrobe in a trash can and some tools... and hey, look over there, another human being.

(The outfits here are vanity items, which means they don't give any stats. Not even if put in a regular armor slot. We have two kinds of slots for armor as can be seen on the right. Social slots and equipment slots. Armor put in the social slots will not give any stats, not even if it's the best armor in the game. Items there affect your character's appearance only. This is nice I thought, I actually had that idea ages ago to prevent characters that look like clowns in all kinds of games.

As you've probably guessed the blue squares are our inventory which holds up to 40 items. The top line is called the hotbar. That means that we can quick-access these items by pressing one of the keys from 1 through 0. Or 0 through 9, whatever. We also have four slots for money and ammo each. We could put those in our regular inventory too, but why'd we wanna do this?)

Oh my gosh, this guy sounds helpful. Let's ask him for help!

(That guy is called the Guide. He has a regular name too, but no one calls him by that name. He's actually helpful if you're playing for the first time, I won't bother with him much, though. I'll probably explain everything he has to say during this LP at points when it's actually relevant. He has another function, though, which is useful to everyone who didn't memorize every crafting recipe in existence, because you can just give him an item and he'll tell you everything you can make out of it. I'll show how that works when I'm doing some crafting that is beyond wood.)

This... okay. I have an axe and a pickaxe. No idea what a cursor is but I'm sure it will make sense eventually. I'll just hit dirt and trees with my tools. For now I'm more interested in this chest down there. I can only imagine the riches that await me!

How am I going to get down there? Wait, how am I going to get back up? Let's not worry about details like that and just do what every sane person would do and jump.

This worked out fine. Didn't even break a leg. So what do we have here? A blowpipe, but no ammo for it, some Shuriken, healing potions and torches. Mmhh. Shuriken. Didn't I see a Ninja outfit in the trash can? I so know what I'm going to do tomorrow!

Noooow. I'm down here and I might want to get back up there at some point in my career as a person who jumps down into holes with no means of climbing back up. Because I'm not going further down. It's dark and darkness is pretty creepy. I have torches but I'd rather do something that gets me back to my trash. It's all I have.

Let's just cut down trees like that strange guy suggested. Maybe I can build a ladder out of it. Or a bridge, perhaps.

Whoa, after a few hits the tree explodes into a bunch of neatly arranged... well bunches of wood.

I just cut down a small forest. I think I have everything I need to make my way back now.

Building bridges is easy, you just take wood and place it somewhere. Don't worry about supporting it in any way. This is how physics work

(Except for sand and silt)

Oh crap, slimey monsters! I appreciate being thrown in here with a weapon, but why does it have to be such a shitty weapon? Luckily those slimes aren't too tough. Or original. Just really filthy. Let's build me a little house for the night before something bad happens. Like zombies maybe. Yeah right. That's gonna happen.

(It's gonna happen. Also: please note the bunny approaching from the right)

Building houses is just as easy as building bridges. Look at me, I'm the master builder!

YEEAH! Now to build a door. Wait. How do I even build doors? Damn... okay okay. Focus... just do what seems natural!

Yes, a workbench, I need a workbench. I'll just build one.

(A few basic things can be crafted without any sort of crafting station. This includes the workbench which allows us to do some simple things with wood. The next crafting stations we'll get will probably be a Furnace, to work ores into bars and an anvil, to forge those bars into various things.)

Good good, now I can build... more stuff. Naturally, the first thing I think to craft before attending to the problem of living in a house without a door is a wooden sword. Also a hammer and because I can a bow.

(The sword is not only stronger than the one we have now, it also has a overhead swinging attack animation instead of a stab, making it a much much better weapon even if it did less damage. The hammer is used to remove background tiles and objects. That way we can take things like statues and chests. And of course remove background walls from houses (and caves, but only if we start at the edges) but we don't have any yet. The bow, well, it's a ranged weapon, we don't have arrows yet but we can craft some out of wood. It's not particularly strong but attacking from a distance is usually safer)

THEN I make a door. Also a hole in the wall, because where else am I going to fit that door?

(To place doors we need a hole that is exactly three tiles high. Wood is the only building block we need an axe for to remove it again. We get the materials back, of course.)

Obviously I need some more walls so I make some of those too, also a chair, because we're going to need a chair. No house is complete without a chair.

(In Terraria to qualify as a house NPCs can live in it needs a door, a table (workbench qualifies) a chair, background walls and a light source. The background walls ensure that no monsters spawn inside the house. There are exceptions, like the dungeon walls, which have a chance to spawn dungeon monsters. It's okay to leave a hole or two as windows, though.)

Ah, home sweet home. I have everything I need now. Except a bed. Oh well...

So, that's it for the first small update. What are we gonna do next? Here are some options,

1. Go down that hole! Chances are it's not even very deep, in that case I'll just dig a little. There are decent chances to find something nice.
2. Explore the surface a bit so we can get an overview of what biomes we have, where the dungeon is and other stuff.
3. Dig down in some random spot until we find some room or something.
4. Build more houses, building is fun! We'll also need more houses before any other NPCs, like the merchant, can arrive.

we're not limited to those, of course, so if anyone has a better idea just say so.

Also, should I wear the Ninja outfit and fight all ninja like with Shuriken? Maybe don the link and use a sword and bow? Or just stay Vanilla Mister Six for the time being?

Yeah, it appears I'm doing this directly on the forums anyway...

C-:

Last edited by A Zarkin' Frood; 01-12-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Thadius
BEARD IMPACT

Thadius is the belle of the ball. Thadius is the belle of the ball. Thadius is the belle of the ball. Thadius is the belle of the ball. Thadius is the belle of the ball.
Send a message via MSN to Thadius

I'd say both 1 and 2. Not necessarily in that order.

Also, you should reserve the costumes for when you intend to fight something. Or at least for a little while longer.